[[ recipeID=recipe-9l8es6za8, title=Vegan Miso Mustard Tempeh ]]
Vegan Miso Mustard Tempeh
PLANT-BASED | DAIRY FREE | QUICK & EASY
This is a great recipe for making savory, delicious, moist tempeh. The key to this recipe is to go slow with the braising of the tempeh. Proper braising is a great way to get the flavor of marinating without the waiting and having to prepare ahead of time. See my notes below on braising techniques.
Servings: 4 bowls
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- 16 ounces Tempeh
- 2 tablespoons Tamari
- 2 tablespoons Mirin
- 3 tablespoons HealthSavor Organic Miso Mustard
- ½ tablespoon Brown Rice Syrup
- ½ tablespoon Paprika
- 10 ounces Filtered Water
- Olive Oil Spray
- Remove the tempeh from the packaging and chop or slice evenly. I prefer small, evenly chopped chunks for this recipe. Steam for 5 minutes to remove any bitterness or if you would prefer not to use oil in this recipe.
- Fill a large measuring cup with all the remaining ingredients and whisk or stir until the mustard is well incorporated into the rest of your liquids. Set aside.
- Using a deep sauté or sauce pan, spray the bottom lightly with oil spray. Turn on heat to medium high and allow pan to heat up slightly (not smoking). Place your slices or chunks of tempeh into the pan and spray again lightly with oil. Allow your tempeh to cook undisturbed until it gets a slightly golden, brown crust (2-3 minutes). Flip each piece and continue cooking 1 more minute to brown other side. Remove from heat and turn the burner down to medium low.
- Stir the braising liquid and pour it into the pan with the tempeh. Return pan heat and allow liquid to come to a low boil. Turn down heat and simmer until most of the liquid is gone and sauce begins to thicken. Begin to baste the tempeh in the sauce as sauce thickens. When the sauce is the consistency of gravy you are ready to serve.
Leftovers heat up very nicely and taste great cold too!
Leave a comment