Miso Sesame Winter Squash
Adapted from the Molasses, Miso, and Maple Candied Sweet Potato recipe in Bryant Terry’s “The Inspired Vegan”.
- Yield: 4-6 Servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- 2 pounds halved, seeded, and cut into 1/2 inch pieces Delicata squash
- 2 Tbsp Emperor’s Kitchen Organic Toasted Sesame Oil
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- 1 tsp tamari or shoyu
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1–2 Tbsp Miso Master Organic Mellow White Miso
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp grated lemon zest
- 5 Tbsp water
- 8 oz tofu, sliced into ½” cubes
- Preheat the oven to 425F / 220C, with a rack in the middle.
- In a large bowl, toss the squash with 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil. Spread the squash on a parchment-lined or well-greased baking sheet in a single layer and roast for 40 minutes, turning over with a fork after 20 minutes. Or, until golden on both sides.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the molasses, tamari, maple syrup, miso, orange juice, lemon juice, lemon zest, water, and the remaining tablespoon of sesame oil. Add the tofu, toss to coat, and set aside.
- When the squash is deeply golden on both sides, remove from the oven.
- Transfer the squash to a 2-quart baking dish. Pour the tofu mixture over the squash, and gently toss.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until a good amount of the marinade boils off. Toss a couple times along the way. Finish under the boiler if you like, or if you like a bit of extra color on top.
- Remove from the oven, and season with salt, if needed.
- Finish with some toasted sesame seeds, chopped arugula, and/or herbs, and serve immediately with lemon wedges on the side (to squeeze on top).