Mushroom Barley Stew
- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
- Category: Stew
- Wash barley and place in a large pot along with shiitake mushrooms, water, and kombu. Soak for 3 hours.
- Remove kombu and discard or reserve for another use. Remove and slice shiitake, and return to pot. Bring to a boil, add salt and bay leaf. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer.
- Heat oil in a skillet and sauté onion until transparent. Add carrot and celery and sauté for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- After simmering soup for 1 hour or so, add oregano, sautéed vegetables, and a little more water if necessary. Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Dilute the miso in a little water and add to the stew.
- Serve hot, garnished with minced parsley or scallion if desired.