Nobu’s Miso Marinated Cod
This recipe is a classic Japanese fish preparation, made famous by the chef Nobu Matsuhisa, and altered only to avoid boiling the miso. It's a popular recipe for a reason: marinated for several days in the salty-sweet miso marinade, black cod becomes silky, deeply seasoned and completely irresistible.
- 1/4 cup sake
- 1/4 cup mirin or cooking sherry
- 4 Tbsp Miso Master Organic Mellow White Miso
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 4 - 1/2 lb fillets black cod
- Two to three days beforehand, make the miso marinade and marinate the fish. Bring the sake and mirin to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Boil for 20 seconds to evaporate the alcohol. Add the sugar, whisking constantly to ensure that the sugar doesn't burn on the bottom of the pan. Remove from the heat, add the miso paste and whisk. Cool to room temperature.
- Pat the black cod fillets thoroughly dry with paper towels. Slather the fish with the miso marinade and place in a non-reactive dish or bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Leave to marinate in refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.
- To cook the fish: Preheat oven to 400°F. Preheat a grill or broiler. Lightly wipe off any excess miso clinging to the fillets but don't rinse it off. Place the fish skin-side-up on the grill, or in a broiler pan, and grill or broil until the surface of the fish browns and blackens in spots, about 3 minutes. Flip and grill or broil until the other side is browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to the oven and bake for 5 to 10 minutes, until fish is opaque and flakes easily. Top with any remaining miso marinade if desired, garnish, and serve.
Miso Master Organic Mellow White Miso
Miso Master Organic Mellow White Miso is one of our tasty short term “sweet” miso varieties. Lighter color, sweeter flavor and lower salt content makes this the perfect miso for dips, marinades, sauces and even desserts. Made in the USA.
Purchase Miso Master Organic Mellow White Miso at your favorite organic market or direct to your door from Great Eastern Sun’s Online Market HERE >