Nori Rice Balls
These tasty and nutritious rice balls are great for school lunches or an after-school snack.
- Yield: 8 Servings 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Carefully tear each sheet of nori in half, then tear each half into halves.
- Moisten your hands in lightly salted water, then gently but firmly form about ½ cup of the rice into a ball. Wet your hands as necessary to prevent sticking, but use as little water as possible. Continue until all 8 are finished.
- Press your index finger into the center of the rice ball and insert ½ umeboshi plum, or about ¼ tsp umeboshi paste. For variety, you may substitute minced pickles, deep-fried tofu, or your favorite cooked vegetables). Seal the opening.
- The outside of the ball may be rubbed lightly with umeboshi or miso for extra flavor. Umeboshi also helps preserve the rice and aids its digestion.
- Using 2 squares of nori, cover each rice ball. At first it may look a little ragged; set it down, wrap the rest, then come back to the first, and gently pack as you would a snowball.
Rice balls keep best if wrapped in waxed paper, then in paper. Do not wrap in plastic or store in airtight container.