Yield 3-4 Servings
Our Emperor’s Kitchen Organic Shiitake Mushrooms add the perfect touch to this tasty onion soup.
- 4 cups water
- one 6” Emerald Cove Pacific Kombu
- 3 - 4 Emperor’s Kitchen Organic Whole Shiitake Mushrooms
- 1 - 2 tsp unrefined vegetable oil
- 5 medium onions, chopped
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp soy sauce
- a pinch celery seeds
- parsley, chopped for garnish
- Soak kombu and shiitake in the water for 30-60 minutes. Bring to a simmer, uncovered, over medium heat. Remove kombu and shiitake ( reserving for another use) and set aside.
- Slice onions thinly in half moons. Heat oil in medium-sized skillet; add onions and a pinch of salt and sauté over medium-low heat until translucent. Lower heat, add kombu/shiitake soaking water, cover, and cook 15-20 minutes.
- Add remaining salt and bay leaf, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add soy sauce and celery seeds, simmering 5 minutes more.
- Garnish with minced parsley and croutons and serve hot.