Pressed Salad with Miso Master Organic Tamari
Pressed salads are a traditional Japanese dish that involves simple pickling in a salty seasoning brine for a minimum of 30 minutes to 3 hours. This tasty Pressed Salad recipe is seasoned with our tasty Miso Master Organic Tamari for that unique umami flavor. Enjoy!
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Cut cucumbers into thin diagonal slices (if using regular cucumbers, peel and seed before slicing).
- Place radish and cucumber in a bowl, sprinkle with ½ tsp salt, toss, and let sit 10 minutes. Rinse with cold water and gently squeeze to extract excess water.
- Cut kombu into very fine threads with scissors. Add kombu and ginger to cucumber and radish and mix well.
- Combine remaining ingredients and slowly pour over vegetables.
- Put a small plate or other lid on vegetables and press with a 2 pound weight.
- Place in a cool, dark place for 3 hours (refrigerate if you do not have a cool place).
- Toss finished salad with a little of the liquid left after pressing, place in small, individual bowls, and serve.
Pressed Salads are a tasty way to enjoy vegetables by adding a quick and slight fermentation to that adds flavor and enzymes that aid in digestion.