We love this creative and easy recipe to enjoy nori without making sushi rolls by one of our favorite bloggers, Shannon Leparski from her "The Glowing Fridge" blog.
Quinoa Edamame Sushi Bowl
A delicious deconstructed vegan sushi bowl full of flavor and paired with the perfect tahini wasabi dressing.
- 1 8oz. package extra-firm organic tofu
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 cup shelled edamame, uncooked
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 green onion, chopped small
- 1/2 of a cucumber, chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons pickled ginger, chopped small
- 2 sheets of vegan nori, thinly sliced/chopped into pieces
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
TAHINI - WASABI DRESSING
- 1 teaspoon + 1/4 teaspoon wasabi
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- Drain package of tofu. Cut tofu into bite size pieces. Lay 2 paper towels (or one clean kitchen towel) on a large plate. Spread out tofu on plate. Lay 2 more paper towels or kitchen towel on top of the tofu. Place a fairly heavy book on top and set aside for 30 minutes. (This absorbs excess water in tofu)
- Cook quinoa and edamame according to directions and set aside.
- When tofu is ready, place in a medium-sized bowl and pour 2 tablespoons tamari over. Mix until all tofu is covered in tamari. Heat a pan/wok on medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon sesame oil. When pan is hot, add tofu and cook until golden brown on all sides (about 5-10 minutes depending how hot the pan is) You want it to be crispy and golden!
- After all vegetables are cut/prepared, start making the dressing. Make a wasabi paste by mixing the wasabi powder and water in a small bowl. Then add the tahini, tamari and rice wine vinegar and whisk until well combined.
- Now we can assemble our sushi bowls. First add quinoa to bowl, then vegetables, tofu, pickled ginger, nori and sesame seeds. Pour dressing over, mix around and enjoy!
This bowl can be served warm or cold, either way is delicious.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Glowing Fridge Blog by Shannon Leparski. Shannon is a health blogger "dedicated to making your skin GLOW from plant based whole foods." www.TheGlowingFridge.com
Back to Great Eastern Sun Healthy Recipes >