- Yield: 3 cups 1x
- Category: Gravy
- Soak the shiitake in the water for 30 minutes or longer. Squeeze out excess water, cut off and discard the tough stems, and thinly slice the caps. Reserve the soaking water for the gravy.
- Heat the oil in a small frying pan and sauté the shiitake, onion, and garlic over medium-low heat for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
- Lower heat, sprinkle flour over vegetables, and stir constantly for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Slowly add the soaking water while stirring briskly to prevent the flour from lumping. Stir frequently until gravy begins to simmer and thicken.
- Add the salt, shoyu, thyme and mirin or wine and simmer gently, uncovered, for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve warm.