Peanuts and Miso are two flavors that compliment each other very nicely. This recipe is so versatile and the leftovers can be frozen (if you have any) and used anytime. Try making this using our recipe for Tempeh Broth! Make a double batch, you won’t regret it. (Shown here with Vegan Tempeh Meatless Miso-Balls, Roasted Cilantro Lime Cauliflower.)
6 cups vegetable broth, Tempeh Broth (recipe link), or other light broth base
1/4 cup Mellow White or Sweet White Miso
6 tablespoons Tahini Paste
4 tablespoons Creamy Peanut Butter (salter or unsalted)
1 cup Brown Rice Malt Syrup (or Brown Rice Syrup, Honey, 1/2 cup Maple Syrup or 1/2 cup Agave)
1/4 cup Mirin
2 tablespoon chopped or pureed garlic
1 1/2 tablespoons pureed ginger
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (added at the end to taste)
Shredded Coconut (optional)
- Put the broth you have selected into a large soup pot and bring to a low boil making sure it is well combined if using a bouillon or other base to make stock. Turn off the heat and remove 1 cup of the stock and set aside.
- Combine all ingredients (except 1 cup stock & cayenne pepper) in a large mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add 1/2 cup of warm (heat up again if needed) to the well combined peanut miso base.
- Add peanut miso base to soup pot with stock.
- Use remaining 1/2 cup warm stock liquid to “clean” the mixing bowl and get all the remaining peanut base into the soup pot with your other ingredients. Add 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper.
- Bring to a low boil.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes uncovered, stirring occasionally.
- Taste soup and adjust spices, add more cayenne and salt if needed.
- If the soup lacks depth of flavor continue to simmer until desired flavor is reached.
- Top with shredded coconut (optional)
- Soup flavor “develops” after sitting for 24 hours, so make it a day ahead and taste and adjust when you reheat it for serving the next day.
- Pour the cooled leftovers into an ice cube tray or two to save and serve another time.
- Add silken tofu to this recipe and make a sauce or dip.
- Prep Time:10 minutes
- Cook Time:20-30 minutes
- Cuisine:Asian Fusion
Keywords: Vegan, Peanut Butter, Miso, Miso Soup, Whole Food Cooking, Whole Food Recipe, Asian Recipe, Asian Fusion