Traditional Miso Soup
- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
- 2 Emperor’s Kitchen Organic Whole Shiitake Mushrooms
- 4 cups filtered water
- 2 inch piece Emerald Cove Pacific Kombu
- 1 Tbsp bonito flakes
- 1 tsp Emperor’s Kitchen Organic Toasted Sesame Oil
- 1/3 block firm tofu, cubed
- 1 tsp Emerald Cove Ready-To-Use Pacific Wakame
- 3 Tbsp Miso Master Organic Country Barley Miso
- 1 green onion, sliced for garnish
- Soak shiitakes in 1 cup of the filtered water for 20 min. Remove and slice thinly.
- Combine soaking water and remaining 3 cups of filtered water and bring to boil with kombu and shiitakes. Reduce to simmer for 5 minutes, then remove kombu.
- Add bonito flakes, cover, and remove from heat. Strain out flakes after 4 minutes.
- Sauté tofu in toasted sesame oil until lightly browned. Add tofu and wakame to stock and heat through.
- Make thin paste of miso with stock, add to pot, and warm on low for 2 minutes. Garnish with green onion and serve.
Miso Master Organic Traditional Country Barley Miso is considered a Long-Term miso. It is aged naturally without temperature control for 18 months through four seasons in giant four-ton, hand-crafted Cypress, Redwood, or Fir barrels. It has a high soybean content in relation to the barley koji (grain inoculated with aspergillus spores). Because soybeans are much more difficult to ferment, with their high protein and fat content, than the high-carbohydrate grains, this miso variety requires a prolonged aging period. This gives the aspergillus spores and lactobacillus bacteria sufficient time to completely break down the complex protein and fat molecules into their more digestible constituents. Made in USA.
Purchase Miso Master Organic Country Barley Miso at your local organic market or direct from Great Eastern Sun’s Online Market HERE >