Traditional Miso Soup
- Soak shiitakes in 1 cup of the filtered water for 20 min. Remove and slice thinly.
- Combine soaking water and remaining 3 cups of filtered water and bring to boil with kombu and shiitakes. Reduce to simmer for 5 minutes, then remove kombu.
- Add bonito flakes, cover, and remove from heat. Strain out flakes after 4 minutes.
- Sauté tofu in toasted sesame oil until lightly browned. Add tofu and wakame to stock and heat through.
- Make thin paste of miso with stock, add to pot, and warm on low for 2 minutes. Garnish with green onion and serve.