- 2 cups sushi rice
- 3 cups water
- 3 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup Emperor’s Kitchen Umeboshi Plums
- 1/3 cup sushi ginger
- 1/4 lb sugar snap peas or string beans
- In a bowl, rinse rice in several changes of cold water until water is almost clear and drain in a colander. Let rice stand, uncovered, in colander at least 30 minutes.
- Place rice and 3 cups water in a 3-quart saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to moderate and boil rice, covered, 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and cook rice, covered, until liquid is absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes. Let rice stand, covered, 10 minutes and spread in a large shallow baking pan. Sprinkle rice with vinegar and toss with a wooden spoon. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Pit umeboshi plums, and coarsely chop umeboshi and pickled ginger. In a bowl stir together rice, umeboshi, and ginger.
- Have ready a bowl of ice and cold water. In a saucepan of boiling water cook peas until bright green, about 30 seconds, and then transfer to ice water to stop cooking. Drain peas and cut crosswise into thin strips.
- Just before serving, stir peas into salad and season with salt.
*From: Gourmet | August 1998