Seaweed Salad with Arame, Carrots and Baby Bok Choy
PLANT-BASED | DAIRY FREE | QUICK & EASY
Arame has recently become one of my favorite seaweeds. The taste is very mildly briny and the texture is like a thin, silky noodle. I love this recipe because it is fresh, delicious and very versatile. The soft texture of the baby bok choy combined with silky arame noodles and crunchy sweet carrots make a delightful dish.
Interested in learning more about seaweed? We have you covered! Check out, What is Seaweed?
Servings: 4 Salads
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- 1 cup Dried Arame
- 1 large Carrot
- 3 heads Baby Bok Choy
- ¼ cup Filtered Water
- 1 tablespoon Mirin
- 1 tablespoon Tamari or Shoyu
- 1 tablespoon Toasted Sesame Oil
- Soak arame in filtered water (fully covered) for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Combine ¼ cup filtered water, 1 tablespoon mirin and 1 tablespoon tamari and blend together. Set aside.
- Prepare carrots by either slicing into matchsticks or shredding. Add 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil to large sauté pan, add carrot cooking and cook for 3 minutes on medium high heat. When carrot has softened add in arame tossing together lightly. Quickly add the water, mirin and tamari into the pan and bring to a boil. Partially cover the pan and turn down to simmer for 10 minutes or until liquid has reduced slightly but not completely evaporated. Remove from heat.
- Slice baby bok choy leaves into bit size pieces and add to the pan with arame and carrots. Combine dressing ingredients and pour over ingredients in the sauté pan. Toss all ingredients together and sprinkle with a small pinch of cayenne pepper (start lightly and taste before adding more) and sesame seeds. Serve immediately or chill until ready to eat (see note).
If you are not going to serve all four servings immediately you can make all the ingredients and wait to combine the salad and the dressing until you are ready to serve. Keep refrigerated and use with 2 days.
Add Brown Rice Udon Noodles and tofu for a full meal!