Sweet or Savory Vegan Buttercream
PLANT-BASED | GLUTEN FREE | DAIRY FREE | OIL FREE
This is a base recipe that can be used for so many things. It is great all by itself, but can be made into a frosting or a vegan sweet ricotta or even a cheesy spread. This recipe is lightly sweetened with the wonderfully nutty, thick sweetness of brown rice syrup which really makes it the versatile buttercream that you can dress up however you like.
Servings: 6 cups
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 0 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- 1 cup Raw Cashews (soaked overnight or at least 4-6 hours)
- ¼ cup Brown Rice Syrup
- 2 tablespoons Vegan Butter (melted soft, but not hot)
- 2 teaspoons Almond Extract
- ¼ teaspoon Mellow White (savory) or Sweet White Miso (sweet)
- 2 tablespoons Filtered Water (warm)
- ¼ cup Orange Juice (can use lemon, lime, apple cider vinegar, see note)
- 2 ounces Firm Tofu (will make the cream stiffer for a frosting or ricotta consistency)
- Warm 2 tablespoons of water and add in miso whisking to combine and fully dissolve miso. Drain cashews and add to blender along with all other ingredients. Blend until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides and continuing to blend until you have reached your desired consistency. If you are adding in the tofu, crumble it into blender and blend until smooth, adjust flavors at this point.
- Remove cream from blender and place in large, flat covered dish. The more you can spread it out the quicker it will cool and become more solid. This recipe does not have to be cooled, but it will thicken if cooled and the flavor will develop if left in the refrigerator overnight.
- This recipe is good for 5 days in the refrigerator and can be used to top cakes, fruit tarts, muffins, and even ice cream! We are showing it on top of a fruit and nut oatmeal to make a sweet breakfast treat!
Lasts 5 days in the refrigerator.
If you want to use this recipe for something savory try changing the orange juice to lemon or lime juice and adding tofu and herbs for a savory ricotta or nutritional yeast and mustard for a cheesy spread!