Vegan Sweet Cream & Caramel Ice Cream
PLANT-BASED | DAIRY FREE | OIL FREE
Two great flavors layered together and served as ice cream “muffins”. We are featuring our brown rice syrup this month and it is a perfect fit for this dessert recipe. Brown rice syrup is lightly sweet, thick, freezes well and adds subtle toasty caramel flavor notes. Our featured version also adds a crunchy layer with vegan chocolate chunks and cinnamon to create a delicious treat!
Servings: 12 Scoops
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 0 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
Sweet Cream Ice Cream Layer
- 13 ½ ounces Canned Coconut Cream
- ⅔ cup Brown Rice Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Sweet White or Mellow White Miso
- 1 teaspoon Almond Extract
Optional Chocolate Chunk Layer
- 1 cup Vegan Chocolate Chips or Chunks
Caramel Ice Cream Layer
- 13 ½ ounces Full Fat Canned Coconut Milk
- ½ cup Brown Rice Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Sweet White Miso
- 2 Medjool Dates (seeds removed)
- ⅓ cup Hot Filtered Water
- Sweet or Savory Vegan Buttercream
Make Sweet Cream Ice Cream Layer
- Add coconut cream, brown rice syrup and sweet white miso to a sauce pan. Heat on medium high (do not boil) and whisk continuously until miso is dissolved and all ingredients are smooth and fully combined. Remove from heat, add almond extract and set aside to cool.
Make Caramel Ice Cream Layer
- Heat water and add 2 dates. Using a small mug is helpful to ensure the dates are submerged in the water fully. Add coconut milk, brown rice syrup and miso to a sauce pan and heat on medium (do not boil) whisking to combine. Remove from heat. Add the dates and water to a blender or food processor and blend until combined and completely smooth and creamy. If more liquid is needed you may add in small amounts of the coconut milk from your sauce pan. Do not add all the milk in right away, it is easier to fully blend the dates by themselves. Once the dates are smooth and creamy add in the rest of the coconut milk mixture from your sauce pan. Blend until fully combined and creamy. Set aside to cool.
Create Ice Cream Muffin Layers
- Add the sweet cream layer into muffin cups, filling halfway and dividing liquid evenly into 6-12 muffin cups. Depending on how big or small the cups and how large you want them will determine how full they are. Add a small amount to each to start and then even it out as you go along. Place muffin pan in the freezer and check in 30 minutes to see if there is a solid layer on the top. Once the sweet cream layer has a solid top you may add the chocolate chunks or chips. Chop them roughly to create a nice texture for this layer and sprinkle them on top (don’t overfill this layer). Put muffin pan back in the freezer. Check again in 30 minutes to see if both layers are almost fully frozen. You should be able to gently press on this layer without pushing through. If your caramel ice cream has cooled down add it to your ice cream muffins and return to the freezer. Let the muffins freeze overnight.
Serve Ice Cream Muffins
- Fill a sink with hot water. Enough to cover the bottom edge of your muffin pan when you place it in the sink, but not too much. All you want to do is loosen the ice cream muffins to remove them. Take a plate or a cutting board and place it on top of the muffin tin and flip it over to release the ice cream muffins onto the plate or board. Add the desired number of muffins to your serving bowl or plate and top with cinnamon, chocolate shavings and a dollop of Vegan Buttercream. Serve!
This recipe may look complicated, but it is very simple. Once you have made your own ice cream you will find that you never go back to store bought again!
We used a muffin tin for freezing this ice cream, but you can use popsicle molds or even a sheet pan to make this sweet treat. No ice cream maker or fancy equipment needed.