[[ recipeID=recipe-9l8byhe7l, title=The Best Moist & Tasty Vegan Tempeh Meatless Miso-Balls ]]
The Best Moist & Tasty Vegan Tempeh Meatless Miso-Balls
PLANT-BASED | DAIRY FREE
This is one of my favorite recipes because it is so versatile and so easy to prepare. I love tempeh and this is a great way to make a big batch of tempeh that you can use for a side dish, on pasta, in a sandwich or a bowl of soup! This is a base recipe that you can dress up by adding all sorts of different flavors. This is a staple recipe in my vegan kitchen!
Servings: 24 Miso-Balls
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- 32 ounces Tempeh (crumbled)
- ¼ cup Tamari
- ½ cup Orange Juice
- ⅓ cup Hot Water
- 1 tablespoon Red Miso (can use Barley Miso, Brown Rice Miso, or Chickpea Miso (soy free))
- ⅓ cup Brown Rice Syrup or Maple Syrup
- 1 ⅓ tablespoons Sesame Oil (toasted or untoasted)
- 1 ⅓ tablespoons Pureed Garlic
- 1 ⅓ tablespoons Pureed Ginger
- 2 tablespoons Flaxseed Meal (ground flaxseed)
- ¼ cup Rolled Oats
Optional Flavor Suggestions
- ¼ cup Shredded Unsweetened Coconut
- 1 tablespoon Allspice or Pumpkin Pie Spice (pair with coconut shreds)
- ¼ cup Chopped Raw or Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 tablespoon Taco Seasoning or Chili Seasoning (pair with pumpkin seeds)
- Add miso to hot water and whisk until dissolved. Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
- Mix all wet ingredients in a large mixing bowl and crumble tempeh into bowl
- Using your hands blend the tempeh and the wet mixture together, getting any large chunks of tempeh down to a consistency and size of ground meat.
- Allow mixture to marinate for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight
- Remove mixture from the refrigerator and pour all contents into a deep sauce pan
- Cook on medium high until no more liquid is visible (don't overcook and dry it out, just enough heat to evaporate the liquid)
- Allow mixture to cool and prepare another mixing bowl with your flaxseed meal, oats and any optional flavors you have chosen.
- Put tempeh mixture into a food processor and blend until it is the consistency of ground meat, it should be sticky without any chunks
- Add tempeh mixture to the bowl with your dry ingredients and mix well with your hands. You can taste the mixture at this point and see if you want to adjust the flavors at all.
- Using a tablespoon measuring spoon scoop out a small amount and roll it in your hands into a ball
- Place the balls onto a sheet pan covered with parchment paper and cook for 15-20 minutes (turning the balls halfway through and checking to see how they are cooking.
- Serve in soup, on a sandwich, in a salad, on noodles, or just pop one in your mouth!
This recipe is designed so that you can flavor these meatless miso balls however you like! We have featured them in two recipes as an addition to soup. Check out our Sweet & Spicy Peanut Miso Soup and Vegan Pumpkin & Chickpea Miso Soup recipes for some inspiration.